Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Julie and Julia Review

Being a young woman with a blog, I constantly hear, "Oh, like in that movie!" when I run into people who have maybe glanced at this webpage, but not really looked into it. "That movie" being Julie and Julia. Like many other fairly new movies, I thought about seeing it when it was in theaters but never got to go due to our erratic schedule. Thus, it ended up on the abysmal list I like to call "Movies I Will See Eventually." Thanks to a new Netflix account and having a huge list of films at my beckon call, I finally watched it...


I have to say, it was not exactly an epically moving piece. It was cute, but not really anything to write home about. I completely back the concept of a young woman without any real purpose gaining structure by setting a goal and taking everyone along for the ride. She creates some small problems for herself along the way, but she involves her readers and feels validation in her life, which most anyone could agree is a good feeling. No one wants to wander aimlessly through life. Sure, at first glimpse of freedom we all rush out and do anything and everything or nothing if we want to; but eventually we all come to a mature realization that at some point we will no longer be around. Most individuals have children at this point. I would say that children are a the biggest legacy we leave behind us. But if children aren't an option, due to choice or circumstance, any goal that helps to better the achiever is certainly not a bad idea.

You're probably now thinking, "Wow, for a person who says this movie wasn't that great, she certainly is going into deep thought because of it," and even I have to admit that any commentary that draws its audience into contemplation cannot be a failure. I just don't think this movie accomplished all that it wanted and attempted to. I could go on and on, but I doubt you would want to hear my existential rant. I tend to overdo those a bit

Suffice it to say, I'm not running out to purchase the Bluray, but I may try to make a little boeuf bourguignon on my day off :)

No comments:

Post a Comment